Unless you have a dentist as a best friend, it is hard to know all about the world of dentistry. Many people are only conversant with the common oral treatments offered in dentistry, including tooth extractions and root canals. However, some dental procedures have an entire specialty to cater to the different processes and treatments thereof.
Orthodontic dentistry is one such specialty, which is only intended to handle dental treatments concerned with dental alignments.
What Is Orthodontics?
It is a type of dental procedure performed in orthodontic dentistry to align teeth. Orthodontic treatments are concerned with straightening teeth in the jawbone for a beautiful smile and functional mouth. Orthodontics can be performed with either two primary purposes, that is:
- To improve oral functionality
- To improve aesthetic appearances of teeth
Overall, all orthodontic procedures performed in Petaluma Dental Group achieve both goals. The idea is to ensure that teeth are sitting correctly in the jawbone as they should otherwise.
6 Crucial Facts About Orthodontics
With many success stories in orthodontic dentistry, orthodontics dental services entail the following factors:
- Oral appliances are paramount for treatment – shifting natural mature teeth in the mouth is a hefty process. It cannot be achieved without the use of special dental appliances called teeth aligners. They come in different types and designs, with the most common ones being traditional metal braces. The other types of braces used in orthodontics include Fastbraces®, Invisalign® braces, to mention a few.
- Orthodontics relies on controlled pressure – the oral appliances are designed to employ controlled pressure on teeth, continuously over a certain period, usually pre-determined by your attending dentist. The pressure applies helps to move and rotate teeth in the correct direction and desired position.
- The treatment banks on bone regeneration – the process of moving teeth to a new position relies on the concept of bone regeneration. This entails the bone tissue in your oral cavity creating new tissues to support the new position of the teeth. As pressure is applied on teeth over time, new bone tissue forms to support the teeth in the new location. In that case, improving the healing and recovery of your body will help the success of your treatment. This includes eating healthily and leading an overall healthy life.
- Treatment takes time – if you are the impatient type, orthodontic treatment may not be for you. The moving of teeth is a gradual process that takes time before the desired results are realized. The process involves continuously adjusting the teeth aligners throughout the course of your treatment. As your teeth shift slowly, the dentist in Petaluma, CA, adjusts the teeth aligners to direct the teeth in the proper direction of movement and rotation. In that case, many orthodontic procedures take between 6 months and 1 year before the results are desired. Some patients may need longer than a year to realize the results they need. It depends on the type of braces you get, and the level of complexity of your orthodontic problem at the beginning of your treatment.
- Retainers are part of the treatment – they are oral appliances made for holding teeth in place. Ideally, braces help shift your teeth in the correct position, and retainers help hold your teeth in the new position. Depending on how far your teeth have had to move, you may have to use retainers for the rest of your life. Some patients, however, use retainers for a short period until they are cleared to lead their lives without them.
- You may need a repeat procedure as you get older – this is particular for children who get braces when they are young. The results of orthodontic treatments on kids are incredible. However, the older they get, the higher the risk of some of the teeth shifting to the original position, more so if they didn’t wear retainers. For such, a dentist may recommend a repeat procedure for a very short time to reposition the shifting teeth.
Orthodontic dental treatments have been proven as effective over the years, restoring the beauty in people’s smiles and the functionality of their mouths thereof. A tip to consider is, the earlier you seek orthodontic treatment in life, the better and more effective the results are.