A Closer Look at Sparking Water

Let’s face it, when the weather gets hot we all want to reach for a cool

and refreshing beverage! When ordinary water seem too flat to enjoy, some of us reach for the sparkling variety. With no sugar or other ingredients, why would this drink pose a problem to our dental health? The potential problem is that carbonated water gets its fizz from carbon dioxide. A chemical reaction in your mouth turns the CO2 into carbonic acid, not only giving the drink a tangy, zesty, refreshing bite, but also making it more acidic. Acid in food and drinks can wear away your tooth enamel.
That could be an issue if you’re sipping on your favorite bubbly water throughout the day. As you sip, the acidic drink is swishing around your mouth, and if you do this often, multiple times a day, it can become a behavior that leads to tooth wear.
If you are going to be sipping throughout the day, (we all know the importance of drinking our 8 glasses of water a day), plain water is the safest way to go!
>